Wednesday, July 09, 2008

IEEE citation style for Word 2007?

I still remembered I made a complaint about Office 2007 a few months back, especially about Powerpoint and Groove.

Anyway, I have been working on a paper for the past few weeks, and it's the first time I have used Word 2007 to write it. Previous papers were done using Word 2003.

To my pleasant surprise, Msoft did get something right this time.

Word 2007 has several useful features for writing papers. One of the major cause of headache when writing a research paper is the need to keep constant track of the references made, because we have to number the references according to their appearance on the document.

Eg. I have put paper A as reference [1], but suddenly I found that I need to quote paper B before that paper A. This means I need to renumber paper A as [2], and paper B as [1].

Now, when I have 20+ references, the changes are going to get ugly.

However, in Word 2007, under the "References" toolbar, there's all sort of tools to help in this bibliography. It can even auto-generate the table of content.

The only problem now is, we can only choose a few citation styles which is built-in, and that list of styles does not include IEEE's style.

I found a page that teaches how to create our own citation style, but I find it a chore now, since I wanted to finish my paper a.s.a.p.

Hopefully some good soul out there can help. :)

2 comments:

Beej said...

Ahh, a few months later and I'm looking for the same thing!

My report is due in a couple days, so I don't think I'll find the answer by then, but it would still be useful for future reports.

Anonymous said...

I found an IEEE style at http://bibliography.codeplex.com